Bureau 42 was founded by Margreth Verhulst in 2014. Margreth Verhulst has years of experience in representing all legal, regulatory and public affairs interests of IT companies and clients in the dynamic world of internet, technology and society. Margreth therefore knows what is important to a company.
Margreth is legally savvy, professional, reliable, passionate, pragmatic, results-oriented and tenacious, creative and very accessible. Margreth is regularly invited as a speaker and panel member and she was often asked for advice when answering parliamentary questions.
Business attorney, public affairs officer and IP attorney
Before founding Bureau 42, Margreth Verhulst worked for 16 years as public & regulatory affairs officer and as a senior corporate attorney at Internet service provider XS4ALL, as IP attorney and trade mark agent at telecom provider KPN, and as IP attorney at De Vos & Partners.
For 5 years, Margreth was co-author and editor of a series of five books in which artists, scientists, engineers, visionaries and other inspiring people gave their views on the Internet, technology and society.
Experience and expertise
Some of the work of Margreth Verhulst:
- Initiating and guiding the high-profile lawsuit of XS4ALL against Brein on blocking access to the website The Pirate Bay, the case XS4ALL against the State on tapping and tracking costs, and the high-profile case of XS4LL against Scientology on copyright vs. freedom of information.
- Drafting of a notice and take down policy, and also close involvement in the development of the national code of conduct NTD.
- Dutch and European lobby on data retention, the copyright debate, privacy, cookies and blocking child pornography.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts and other legal documents, intellectual property, corporate governance, compliance, contract management, preparation of internal policy documents, making position papers and representing the interests of XS4ALL and KPN in The Hague and Brussels.
- Advising on new (innovative or experimental) services and collaborations.
- Supervising a number of acquisitions, such as the sale of the phone directory by KPN, the acquisition of Internet service providers Cistron, HCC net and Demon by XS4ALL.
- Managing the brand portfolio of KPN, including global trademark registrations, opposition procedures and trademark infringements of KPN and TNT, protecting the colour green and rebranding processes, such as from Orange to Base in Belgium, and the introduction of the brand I mode in the Netherlands.
Margreth is affiliated with:
- the Copyright Association.
- Benelux Association for Trademark and Design Law.
- Privacy Law Association.
- Professional Association for Public Affairs.
Questions? Contact us